JOB TITLE: Environmental Services Intern, Seasonal – Plants
DUTY STATION CITY/CITIES: Thousand Oaks, CA
SALARY: $13.53 – 18.03 per hour
ANTICIPATED LENGTH OF SEASON: April 2019 – December 2019
POSITION CONTACT: Danielle LeFer: email@example.com
PARK/AREA INFORMATION: California State Parks, Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area
MAJOR DUTIES: The incumbent will serve as a crew member with the following duties:
– Conduct site monitoring and maintenance for native plant restoration projects.
– Conduct exotic plant mapping and monitoring.
– Treat invasive plants using manual methods (digging, pulling, and/or cutting).
– Use hand and/or backpack sprayers apply herbicides to invasive plants.
– Safely store, mix, and transport herbicides.
– Properly use, handle, and store pesticides used in an integrated pest management program.
– Identify native and non-native plant species that occur in the vegetative communities of California.
– Collect unknown plant specimens using accepted protocols and techniques.
– Identify unknown plant specimens using dichotomous keys or herbarium collections.
– Accurately follow protocols for wildlife related research or monitoring projects.
– Maintain legible and accurate work notes and records for use by supervisor or third party.
- Possession of Valid State Driver’s License
- Physical Ability to Perform Arduous Duties (ability to lift 50 pounds)
- Strong Hiking Skills
To apply, submit copies of all of the following : 1) a letter of interest describing your previous experience performing tasks listed in the advertisement and your interest in this position; 2) standard state application (https://jobs.ca.gov/pdf/std678.pdf). Sign and mail or email the application and letter of interest to the address below. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
California State Parks
1925 Las Virgenes Road
Calabasas, CA 91302
Attn: Danielle LeFer