National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)
Academic Program Management Officer 3
The National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) is seeking a Deputy Director. The successful candidate will work with the NCEAS Executive Director, the Directors of NCEAS initiatives, and other NCEAS staff and scientists to support and grow a diverse portfolio of research, data science and learning initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have excellent project management skills, a track record in scientific publication, interest in supporting scientific research, demonstrated commitment to open science principles and practice, interest in engaging with the diverse community at NCEAS, and experience communicating to diverse audiences. The position is expected to support the Executive Director in maintaining ongoing efforts and developing new opportunities at NCEAS and support and represent NCEAS through outreach to diverse communities.
NCEAS works to accelerate scientific discoveries that will enhance our understanding of the world and benefit people and nature, as well as to transform the scientific culture to be more open, efficient, and collaborative. NCEAS is part of UCSB but housed in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara.
NCEAS facilitates synthesis research and collaboration in environmental science, ecology, and environmental data science, conducted as part of research initiatives led by NCEAS and Center Fellows. Each year NCEAS hosts more than 700 visiting scientists and practitioners and over 30 resident scientists, including a growing community of post-doctoral associates, Center Fellows, and Researchers, and has a team of approximately 25 administrative, scientific computing and informatics staff.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, help develop new funding initiatives and partnerships to support synthesis science
- Support and grow initiatives focused on environmental data science infrastructure and training in collaboration with NCEAS Directors
- Participate in grant writing activities across all NCEAS initiatives, as needed.
- Coordinate and support cross-Center initiatives that bridge research, environmental data science and/or learning activities.
- Represent NCEAS at national and international meetings and conferences, when necessary.
- Lead or support project reporting to funders
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science, Ecology, Data Science or related field.
- 3-5 years work experience in a related field with project management and reporting responsibilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to deliver effective presentations to diverse audiences and be an effective spokesperson for NCEAS initiatives
- Experience in grant-writing, in particular to government agencies and foundations
- Experience using project management or collaboration platforms such as Slack, Asana, Basecamp, etc.
Required Documents to Apply:
Online application along with (1) a current resume or Curriculum Vitae, (2) cover letter describing your qualifications and vision for the position, and (3) names and contact information for 3 references.
Note: Fingerprint background check required.
Salary commensurate with experience.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For primary consideration apply by 2/20/19, thereafter open until filled.
Apply online at https://jobs.ucsb.edu Job #20190054